Total Pageviews

Thursday 3 March 2016

Chameleon One, 2016


Chameleon     (January , 2016)
 

I am back to mindful meditation. Quiet time  in my studio.

I have been looking forward to playing with curves again. Last week, I started an old familiar form, one of my bird forms.

Those who have followed my clay for thirty odd years are very familiar with my birds. I always Smoke or Raku  fired them, enjoying the happy accidents of colour and smoke.

My biggest bird ("Birdsong") was over 3 feet high. I made her in my first sculpture course with Christina McEwen in 1992. She lived cheerfully in my garden  for several years, until a lovely lady decided she could not go home without her. "Thanksgiving" left my nest. 

My tiniest chicks are about 1/2 inch high. Their plump shapes, with tails in the air have trailed behind me  for decades. Last fall I experimented with them, new glazes of colour, and colour, and colour... They too have flown.

Last week I started out with the traditional rough form of a life-size bird. It came easily. BUT, my eye saw new shape in this very familiar form. Working on my Angel, Budform  and Dancer series' has changed my view. Elements of each form are involuntarily combining to create something new, yet old. It always surprises me when I look back at my old work, and see their essence following, creating my own, recognizable style.
 
 


 
 
 

 
 
It is very interesting to be 'Diana' observing 'Diana the artist'.



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment